Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Night Hike

Last night, I went hiking. IN THE SNOW. I was quite skeptical at the time of starting a hike at 9:30pm in the very very cold, especially when I realized just how much snow was up in the canyon. But I must admit, I had a great time and recommend night-snow-hiking to anyone.

We just went up Rock Canyon a ways. I think it was maybe a couple miles each way. We had planned to find a cave that a few of us had been to before, but the last little bit of trail to the cave had a couple feet of snow that hadn't been touched before. Jason tried to walk a few steps in it to see if it could be traversed. He quickly fell down and we had to drag him back out to the less-fluffy snow. So, we just hiked back down the canyon. Even so, I had such a good time! We had a lot of fun slipping and falling and sliding and falling and running and falling in the snow.

I think the best part of the night was just the fact that we did all this hiking in the middle of the night with no flashlights. The moon was almost full and the snow reflected the light everywhere. It was a really fun night. I just may have to go night-snow-hiking again.

1 comment:

  1. I'm such a chicken and would be so scared to go hiking in the dark and the snow. I'm glad you had so much fun though! Did you wear snowshoes? Remember when you and Brittni hiked up to the Y and got lost in the shrubs?

    ReplyDelete