Tuesday, June 28, 2011

"Friends"

Last week my family watched a great movie called Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium. Dustin Hoffman was fantastic in this movie and it really got me thinking about friends. In the movie, several friendless characters are touched and changed when someone calls them their friend.


It got me thinking about facebook. We ask people to be our "friends" whom we have met for a few days and maybe will never see again, but there they remain on our list of "friends". Have we become too floosy with our words?

Who among your facebook friends would you call if you had a flat tire? Who would you call if your boyfriend just broke up with you and you needed to talk, or if you just got a great new job? Who would you hope would call if one of these happened to them?

I don't have an answer, just a thought to send out to the void. I guess, in a way, I should scold myself for opening myself up to the whole world - should I just reserve my thoughts for my real friends?

Blast.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Facebook "friends" are different than true friends. If we lived in the same town, you could call me if you got a flat tire. But, since we don't, you can call me about jobs and boyfriends and stuff instead. ;) I hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete